Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oh say can you see?

Our fourth was fab.
It was the first one that we have been able to spend together as a family,
or as a couple, for that matter.
We got together with some friends,
stretched out on the lawn at our apartment complex,
barbecued burgers and steak,
enjoyed a rousing game of four square (complete with regulation-size court ... literally, a tape measure was employed),
watched the guys play what turned into full-contact football,
and set off a huge Costco-sized box of fireworks.
Well, most of us watched the fireworks.
And by most of us, I mean everyone but myself and my hysterical children.
That's right.
As soon as the first round of ground flowers lit up the pavement, my children were in tears.
Even the flaming pile of turd-like worms were too much (you know what I am talking about).
I had to take them upstairs, bathe them, and put them to bed with the door closed before they could relax.
Ryan said they were too scary and wouldn't even look at them from our second story window.
Drat. I kinda like fireworks.
Oh well, the rest of the evening was good.
Even though a child stepped on my hamburger patty with her bare foot and Ryan stepped in a pool of pee,
we look forward to next year and are grateful for our freedom in the meantime.

This to me is what July 4th is all about. Good friends, good food, and being able to be yourself. Ryan with her new friends, Hannah, Jenna, and Cade.

3 comments:

Britney said...

I am so glad that you had a good 4th. Sorry about the fireworks, I like them too, and annie insisted that she had to sleep in out room becuase they were to scary to listen too. We let her tough it out in her room.... miss you and love you!!

Rachael said...

I was amazed our kids enjoyed the fireworks. It's so unlike them. Sorry yours didn't. Maybe next year. It still sounds like you had a good 4th.

Seth and Sierra said...

I think the pee part was the best...