Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New trick

Ryan has a new trick.
She can ride her two wheeler on just that, two wheels.
No baby, foofy training wheels for this pro.
It didn't take long and required no effort on my part aside from moral and emotional support.
We were tipped off by some friends on how to go about this adventure, which by the way I am sure I didn't master until at least age seven.
But she insisted.
We were told to remove her pedals and the training wheels and let her glide around for a week or two pedal-less.
So after a few soggy weeks, with her insisting we venture outside at every cloud-break she had had enough balancing practice and we reattached the pedals.
And wah-lah!
She literally got onto her bike, pushed off, and started pedaling.
No wobbles.
No crashing.
No me-running-behind-with-my-hand-on-the-seat-keeping-balance-bologna.
All I did was watch in stunned silence, regain my composure, and start clapping wildly.
It was a proud moment.
My baby isn't a baby and can, if so inclined, ride off into the sunset (not that I would allow that, she is after all only four.)
So I ran back inside the house (while she remained unsupervised in the parking lot) and asked Scott to step away from his pot of boiling food on the stove and watch this. (We are very responsible people, and truth be told our apartment is like two steps from the parking lot.)
Anyway, she kept zooming around while we cheered.
And that, they say, is that.

Look at that she can even pose and ride at the same time. My talented little peanut.
And, no, for those with a sharp eye, that is not her purple princess bike but a smaller, pinker, borrowed bike.
We struck a deal with some friends and traded bikes for the summer so she would have something littler to practice on.

Riding on two wheels is just so easy!

And here are the babes, "racing." Which really isn't racing at all because Ezra won't even use his pedals and just Flintstones his trike around. But nonetheless, at least they are playing nicely together.

And a cute shot of Ezzy. He is just so dang cute. And insists on wearing that hat all. the. time. He wants to look like daddy. In fact, the other day he came to wake me up for his breakfast in his pjs and you guessed it, his hat.
Good grief.
Silly boy.
They are just so grown up.
Wish they would slow down.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

That is so awesome! I will have to try that trick with Noah. Thanks!!

-tracy said...

yah for riding bikes.
she'll need to teach dawson when we move over.
also, love the look she's giving you in the first picture: 'really mom...not cool with the camera. i am much too busy for that' as she zooms off :)

Kristina said...

she is awesome! I can't believe how quickly she mastered riding that thing. That really is a magic trick... I'll have to remember it with Reagan.

Lana said...

What a cool trick for learning to ride a bike!

Adam Heder said...

I will have to remember this trick for Madeline! And PS You look soooo cute in your pregnancy pic in the last post!! I was just posting on Britney's blog that You guys make me so happy. Can you come visit us in SF please?

Reed Family said...

Yah for Ryan!!! I especially like the pic of her with her legs sticking out. That looks VERY tricky! :)