Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Big girl "lipstick"

So it really isn't lipstick per se, though it is maybe a little stickier and pinker than I originally thought upon purchase.
But it doesn't really matter because the purpose with which it serves is worth the gummy mess it leaves behind.
You see, it was the motivating factor behind finally ridding ourselves of the binky.
Yes, *shrug,* she still used a binky ... but only at night.
However, a 3 1/2-year-old holding a binky in her mouth is quite ridiculous-looking.
Even a very beautiful 3 1/2-year-old.
So I sat her down and we talked about why binkies are really for babies.
And you certainly aren't a baby.
You are a sunbeam, you go potty in the toilet, and can write, and color, and call people on the phone.
Babies cannot do those things.
"And babies cannot wear lipstick," she replied.
Yes! That's it.
She loves "lipstick," which is basically Auntie's lip gloss.
So I promised she could pick out a pink, shiny "lipstick" to use at night instead of a binky.
And that was that.
I have heard only a few times that she still loves her binky "so much" and misses it.
But no tantrums, hysterical fits or fighting over that darn binky.
Better late than never.
And now we are free!

9 comments:

Solomon and Lyndsie said...

Hahahaha! I hear ya on that binky business! I was scared to death to get rid of Sophie's, but she did just fine. I am glad Ryan transitioned well and she looks so beautiful with her pretty "big girl lipstick"!

Rachael said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you. It's nice when they're three and they can comprehend a compromise.

Solomon and Lyndsie said...

That blog looks so good! Even Sophie is begging me to make her a treat. Thanks again!

Jessica said...

oh good thinking! and she is a beautiful 3 1/2 year old, even with pinky gummy lipstick all over her face =)

Jen said...

I love it! great idea. this is one of those mommy tips I am logging away for future use just in case...unless of course I have all boys :)

Kristina said...

Love it.... genius! Except you may have to wash her pillowcase more often. Oh, who cares, it's worth it!

The Kenyons said...

Yeah for being binky free! It took us that long too...oh boy. What a good idea to use the lipstick. Gotta love it.

Britney said...

YOu are so funny, I laughed so hard reading it and the lipstick application is lovey :) GOod job, hopefully Ezzy won't love his binki as much, Although Macey LOVES hers....oh no

Sierra said...

YAY!! Success!!