Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Binky Wars

We are definitely Binky parents.
We like them almost as much as the children do.
They are like magic.
Some of you may disagree, but they are a vital child-rearing tool.
In order to maintain our sanity (Scott and I are less than patient}
we require our children to use them {some might use the word force ... but whatever).
However, even I have limits.
Ryan still uses a binky.
She is 2 1/2 years old.
Scott and I have decided that even though binkies quiet raging tantrums, make owies disappear, and encourage peace in our home ... they must go (only for Ryan, Ezra can suck away, there is plenty of time to destroy his whole world later).
It really boils down to this: asking Ryan to remove the said binky in order to carry on a conversation is quite ridiculous.
She is after all a toddler and not a baby.
(I am saying this more to myself than anyone).
So the battle begins.
Yesterday was our first Binky-free day (we still allow her to use it when sleeping ... one step at a time).
She cried (with intermittent screeching sessions) for the majority of the day.
She begged for it constantly.
Our neighbors probably thought we were torturing her.
I thought I was going to rip out all my hair.
But we persevered and insisted that she didn't need it.
Today I have not heard a peep about it.
In fact she willingly handed it over this morning and after nap time.
Who knew?
Maybe this will be easier than I thought.
We'll see.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

That's so funny! Neither of my kids have been big binkie lovers. Hazel liked them for a little while and then switched to her thumb (which i love, it's so nice that she can soothe herself to sleep). We recently switched Noah from milk sippies to water sippies for bedtime. It was really hard at first but I don't want his teeth to rot so I told him the doctor says he can't have it anymore and he hasn't put much fuss up ever since. Yay! Good job persevering and good luck!

Britney said...

Ok I love binkies too!! The are like magic and I totally pushed it with Macey and now she loves them! We will see how it goes when it is time for it to leave, but for now I love them!! Good luck, it will get easier... Can't wait to see yoU!! LOVEYOU!