Monday, January 21, 2013

At the edge of the world


We are living right outside of Tumwater, just a skosh south, in Olympia for the time being.
Scott's grandfather generously offered his home to us while he sunbirds in Arizona.
While staying here, we are looking for a more permanent place, and by permanent I mean a temporary apartment ... for the next six months.
And then in the fall, we move to Eugene.
Permanently.
As in, if I am ever asked to move again I may throw myself into traffic.
I plan on dying there.


Anyway, our address says Olympia, but as you can see from the pictures below we are really in the wilderness.
Now to some of you, this may seem idyllic.
Up here among the trees, all alone, with only the birds and the occasional dear to keep you company.



The view from our back deck
Well I think it blows.
I feel like a friggin' mountain woman up here.
Who is also a hermit.
On top of my foggy, lonely, deer snack of a hilltop.
I am expecting Bear Grylls to pop in for lunch after winding up a documentary on how to survive if you are ever caught in a forgotten forest.
We are literally miles from civilization.
And all I have are my kids and the deer.
Oh and coyotes. From what Scott tells me.
I am at home with my three precious, darling children who certainly don't fight 23 hours of the day.
With no friends.
And nowhere to go.
I may throw myself to the coyotes ... seeing as there is no readily available traffic.


Same view, extra fog.

I consider myself to be a social person, so being banished to BFN (Mormon lingo for "butt-freaking nowhere") is a little bit of a challenge.
I just remind myself, that I do indeed have friends, or at least used to.
And that it is a temporary situation.
And that this stay will give me an opportunity to work on some projects I have stored up on Pinterest.



The view from our front deck.

So stay tuned for some stellar DIY goodies.
Because it is all I have.
And my fun children.
Who absolutely do not whine.
Every minute.

xo

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I'm not a middle of no where type gal, either. But remember, you do have friends. You've got this girl! I'm excited to see what you come up with. Make sure to post it!!

amydear said...

I want to drop by when Bear comes for lunch! See you in Eugene soonish.

Kristina said...

I can't wait to see your projects! I'm sorry you're feeling lonely up there in the middle of nowhere. If it makes you feel better, I am totally jealous. And if I lived even remotely close to you, I would drive up and visit you and keep you company.

Sierra said...

Wow, that's a lot of trees...and no houses...
You can do it!! Just a little while longer!