Monday, December 20, 2010

Skate World

Sooo, we took our kids roller skating.
Now you may be thinking that roller skating is so '80s, and you would be right.
I think that was the last time I went; which is unfortunate because it is really fun (the '80s and roller skating ... actually I have thought for some time that I really should have been a teenager in the 1980s, with the hair, the clothes, the music ... but I digress, that is a whole other post.)
Anyway, Ryan has been begging to go for months and now that Scott has some serious time off for Christmas we can act like a family and do things together.
And, I have secretly been eying Skate World for even longer.
It was super fun; just as amazing as I remembered it being in grade school.
Ryan and I were the only ones that actually skated.
I am not even sure what would have happened if we had put skates on Ezra.
Most likely a serious head injury.
And Scott manned the camera.
Ryan started off a little shaky but really got the hang of it by the end of our session.
And the "DJ" played some really good music too.

Yes, it looks as if we are pros; maybe not quite to the caliber as the gentleman behind us but you gotta start somewhere.

One of many spills. in fact, about a half hour into our adventure I was starting to worry that I would yank Ryan's arm our of her socket while trying to "save" her from falling. Luckily, she improved and my assistance became unnecessary.

This is what Ezzy was doing while Ryan and I circled the rink. I don't think he knows he isn't actually playing. He also spent a fair amount of time cheering us on at the side of the floor, giving us high-fives and clapping.

He was a good sport about being sorta left out. He just ran around jumping off those carpeted, putting-your-skates-on benches.

And there she is: going solo. She really did improve quite significantly by the end and managed a half-lap on her own. We only had one big fall which resulted in moment of discouragement. Ryan insisted her "buns hurt and she needed a rest." But after a pep talk from Daddy and a small rest of our buns we hit the floor again. I also managed a few laps on my own. Going around with Ryan was really fun, but painfully slow, so I insisted I needed a few laps to myself so I could feel the wind in my short hair. I would post a picture of that as well, but Scott only took a few and, for whatever reason, they were all close-ups of my butt. And no one wants to see that. Not even me.
Anyway, all in all I think our little escapade was a success.
It was definitely the perfect start to our vacation.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That is so fun! I'm sure we should try it sometime but I don't even think Pullman has a skating rink!!

Lana said...

That sounds like so much fun.

I was a teenager in the 80s and yes, it was fun. I still live 80s music but looking back at the styles is a bit frightening!

Kristina said...

What fun! Why has it never crossed my mind to take my kids? Probably because, like you said, it's so 80's. I didn't know they even still existed. We're going!!!!

Travis and Heather said...

I was just sitting in my butt/gut(awful name) class last night reminiscing with my class about the skating days. The song "funk soal brother" came on and I couldn't help but wish I was 12 again laying in bed unable to sleep because tomorrow was CLASSIC SKATING DAY. The snow ball game, skating backwards, the black light, and the red slushies. It is all to fantastic.