Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween and such

Betcha can't guess what we were for Halloween?
Yep. Yoda and The Tooth Fairy.
And yes, the only thing they have in common are that they are both fictional, small, and perhaps magical.
But who needs coordinating costumes anyway?
The important thing is that Ezzy's bald head was toasty in his Yoda hat and Ryan was allowed to wear her tutu in public.
Everyone wins.
Plus, I made (assembled) they costumes myself and that definitely makes up for not carving pumpkins (which I don't really like doing anyway; I mean, what is so fun about it? ... just sayin'.)

Our festivities began by attending a school Halloween Party (thrown by the optometry wives' support group) with dinner, games and a costume contest.
By the end of the event, Yoda looked more like a monk in a brown tunic after shedding 85 percent of his costume and Ryan was wearing only a leotard.
Basically it was a success.
And then the following week we went to our ward's trunk-or-treat bash.
Essentially, everyone in our church congregation shows up in the parking lot of the building we worship in, pops open their trunks (decorated for the occasion), and hands out candy to the "trick-or-treaters."
We like it 'cause it's a safe, friendly atmosphere where you can load up on candy in record time, show off your costume for hundreds to admire and be home an hour later.
We don't mess around at these things.
It is all about efficiency.
And as for the ACTUAL day of Halloween, Scott dressed our kids for the third time, and took them trick-or-treating to a few people we know (namely the sweet old lady that lives in the apartment below us.) Little do they know, that I am handing out the candy they scored at the previously mentioned activities to kids a-knocking at our door. I mean, how much candy to they really need? In my opinion, none. Right moms?
It is the experience that counts anyway.

And after all that partying, it is time for a nap.
When I look at this picture, all I can think is: I wish I were him. He's so content, so cozy, so relaxed, and has an awesome pajama set with army men on them. And who doesn't love an afternoon nap on the sofa with your favorite blankie.

And what we do on a normal, semi-boring day is play outside in our parking lot's largest puddle (which is undoubtedly laced with a ton of gasoline) in the rain. It isn't much, but they like it. And if we waited to go outside only when it was sunny, we would never go out.

Well, my husband just returned from said trick-or-treating without the kids, so I should probably go. Good grief.
Happy Halloween!!

7 comments:

Rachael said...

They are so cute. I totally agree costumes don't need to coordinate, pumpkin carving isn't all it's cracked up to be (TOO MESSY), and kids don't need that much candy...or any. And I don't either. You're such a cute Mom!!

Kristina said...

I LOVED their costumes, just so you know!!

Lana said...

Your blog makes me laugh! Thanks! I can see a lot of your Mom in your attitudes and activities :o)

Britney said...

Love the costumes, they look so great! Cute wand too, now annie wants one :) The kids look super cute all bundled up too! Can't wait to see you guys! LOVE YOU

amydear said...

Want to know what's creepy? I was just looking at your blog when an email popped up and it was YOU commenting on my blog. We must have ESP or something. Your kids look dang cute, and I've been noticing a resurgence of the word RAD. Thanks for using it.

Rebecca Wolthuis said...

Totally am laughing and smiling! I love your blogs. I love that you handed out your kids candy :) I did the same thing :P The costumes were awesome! Did you make Yoda?

Rebecca Wolthuis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.