Thursday, September 16, 2010

The desk

So with the changing of seasons, I often get a new burst of motivation to tackle some projects that have been sitting on the back-burner (translation: I have finally worn Scott down enough to permit me to overhaul a piece of furniture that was "fine" before).
Case in point: the desk.
Barf.
It was a nondescript, old-lady, with curly-Q details, shiny, monstrosity.
It was "fine" according to my supportive hubby.
But for those of you who know me well, fine just isn't fine.
If I have to keep it, use it, and/or look at it, it has to be more than fine.
Plus, really, if I get an idea into my head, it will just fester until I bring it to fruition.
Scott is probably exasperatingly nodding his head.
And I got the idea into my head that the desk needed a little spruce.
And was I right or was I right? Just take a look for yourself:

Okay, it may actually look worse than usual because I had already emptied out it's contents and stripped the paint off one of the drawers. But I am sure you can get the idea of how hideous it was. So that was the "before."

This is me taking a picture, again, of myself as I slave over the eye sore at 10:30 p.m. Really this is not optimal painting procedure, seeing as it was super dark outside, but that is virtually the only time I have to really work without the kids running wild all over our parking lot. As you can see, excitement is evident. Right now I am thinking, "When is this going to be done?" and "I really need a shower because it has been a few days." (I become a little single-minded when involved in a project.)

This is the "after." I think it looks TOTALLY different. You may not notice the subtle differences, so allow me to point them all out. The embellishments are gone. The middle drawer has been removed (I think it opens it up, gives it a more contemporary look, and brings up the height). The desk is also two-toned now. I stripped the paint off the top and painted it an almond color, then sanded and painted the remainder of the desk a flat black.

After all that, I painted two coats of polyurethane on the top to protect it from wear. So that is that. It looks much better, to me, and I did it all by my lonesome. Next up: the dresser is getting a makeover as soon as it stops raining.

11 comments:

Kristina said...

Great job, Brianne. I really like how it turned out... and yes, I notice the differences. Love it!

The Schneiders said...

LOOOOVE IT! I absolutely love it!!! You did an amazing job and it is beautiful.

Rachael said...

It looks AWESOME! I love the difference flat paint gave it! Super good job!!

Solomon and Lyndsie said...

You did a Fanastic Job!!!! You are so talented! It looks much better than before.

Britney said...

love it!! it looks great and totally different!! go you! and I know that night is the only time to get everything done, it is when i crack out the sewing machine!! LOVE YOU!

Jen said...

I have a few bits of furniture that could use a bit of your expertise. One of these days maybe...

Lana said...

That looks great! It was worth loosing a few showers over!

Sierra said...

Holy crap! I love it! Sorry I didn't say anything yesterday! I was a little over-stressed and distracted by the attractive Johnny Depp on your TV screen :)
I'll make sure I take a much closer look next time!

Mitch n' Molly said...

um...it's as awesome as you said! Well done! I need your perspective on my house! Can't wait to see the dresser.

Reed Family said...

It looks AWESOME! You are so amazing Brianne. And, you are so brave to remove the middle drawer! I would have been a bit nervous about that. Well Done!

Debbie said...

you have a gift. that is freaking amazing.