Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Valentine's sushi and a growth chart

I should be compiling my grocery shopping list right now.
Maybe even folding laundry.
Or if I was super responsible, I would be in bed sleeping.
However, watching New Girl while scouring Pinterest seemed like a better use of my time.
That and blogging.
Plus, I figured I'd better whip up my Valentine's Day recap soon before it became irrelevant.
Too late?
Well, I am going to tell you about it anyway because the fact that it was celebrated around here at all is indeed a miracle.
You see, Scott and I aren't the sentimental type.
Oh, I have every intention of draping our house in festive banners and bedazzled crap, but can't. quite. commit.
I did make "love crepes" for dinner ... with strawberries and whip cream.
And I even got Scott a card that read as follows:

"You know when you ask me if I'm mad,
and I say "No."

And then an hour later you ask me
if I want a soda and I say,
"Why the hell would I want a soda?"

That's fun.
Happy Valentine's Day.

I'm sweet.
But despite my empty well-intended attempts at gift-giving/celebrations, Scott always manages to outdo me.
Shocking, I know. Especially after telling you how I am lame.
As unlikely as this may seem, Scott is quite thoughtful, and isn't afraid to try something new.
This year he announced, "I am going to make you Valentine's sushi."
"Uhhh, I am not sure that is a good idea. Why don't we just have "valentine's" ramen and call it good?"
"No, really. I looked it up on the internet and it is going to be really easy. I will just whip out a few rolls and we can have a late, kids-free dinner."
So we put the kids to bed early and retreated to the kitchen.
I pretended we were in a romantic comedy.
You know, the one where the guy and girl are sipping wine and laughing, exchanging witty banter all while preparing a fancy meal together accompanied by snobby instrumental music.
Only I was perched on our baby's highchair, drinking warm sparkling cider while Scott wrestled with the seaweed wraps all while discussing our daughter's excessive farting sensitive digestive system.
And I am pretty sure Family Guy was playing in the background.
That is romance. Or it is ten years together.
Either way, I just love mah man.
And the icing on the love cake?
The sushi was delish.
Scotty is a man of many talents.

Here they are. Salmon, avocado, cucumber, and carrot. They were so fresh and light.
And that justifies eating a dozen. Right?
He also got me a gift certificate for new glasses.
Which I have been obnoxiously subtly hinting at for some time.
I already have the perfect frames picked out. Can't wait to show you.

And because the title of this post says something about a growth chart, I will now unveil my latest Pinterest-inspired project.
Right after I show you a picture of a baby.
Who is starting to look more like a little boy.
Sniff.
Stop it. You precious thing, quit growing so fast.
So my motivation behind creating a growth chart was driven by the necessity to scrub all the door frames of every place we have ever lived ... or visited ... or possibly driven past.
Our kids are obsessed with seeing how tall they are.
And are convinced that their growth is changing rapidly every day.
So I thought I would make them something that we could move from place to place, oh and then to the next place. And the one after that.
Until we die.
From moving.


I first searched Pinterest for a few ideas, and then decided on a direction.
After staining my board, I taped it off in a chevron pattern.
Can you believe that this is my first chevron project?
I am a chevron virgin.
I made the white chevron arrows six inches long so that once applied, they are one foot from point to point.
After painting the white and gray, I used vinyl stencils as an outline for my numbers.
Then just filled them in with black crafters paint.
 

I placed them above their respective marker.
If that makes sense.
After looking at my handiwork, I jumped up and down, clapping wildly.
And made up a song about how much I love blue painters tape.
Then I showed Scott, who said it looked a little like a railroad crossing arm.
Thanks.

Look at me, all fancy with a close up shot. Don't worry, I don't have an delusions that this is a real craft blog.
I added the close up to show my stellar sanding job.

I decided to sand it after the paint dried in order to give it a more beat up look.
I don't want it to be too precious, since my kids are going to be drawing all over it.
I'm gonna find a gold sharpie to use for the actual measuring of growth.


And a pic of Ryan showing off my mad skillz.
Technically I designed it to be hung exactly six inches off the floor in order to get an accurate measurement.
And don't forget that we are staying at Scott's grandparent's house, lest you think I actually decorate with ... well everything going on in this photo.

Didn't know I was taking a picture of him. Even though I am like four inches away.
And just for good measure, a picture of Ezra eating what looks like a cookie.
Shirtless.
With skinny little noodle arms and every rib showing.
And that belly.
Just want to pinch him.

Well, that about does it for me.
I am off to indulge in my daily 1/2 cup of ice cream.
It is the reason I get up in the morning.

xo
Brianne

4 comments:

Rachael said...

As always, you are hilarious and amazing. I LOVE your height marker! You are awesome!!!

Kristina said...

You just might be the funniest person I know.... and now, the craftiest. I love your growth chart! And Micah is so big, I don't recognize him.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could read your witty columns everyday. You always make me laugh! I want to pay you to make me a growth chart! I love this one!! I have wanted to make one but don't love the ideas out there... I guess I will make it and just steal your idea... hehe thanks! ;)

amydear said...

Kyle got a sushi-making kit for Christmas, but hasn't made any yet. I hope he does soon! The growth chart turned out great. Make me one. I will pay you. : )